Superintendent/Department Chair: Brianne Webster
Assistant: Tammy Mrsny
Entry Closing Date: July 24, 2020
Enter at PierceCountyFair.FairEntry.com
All animals must be entered in 4-H Online prior to entering in FairEntry.
- All animals used for Fitting and Showmanship must also be entered in the Type class competition in the 4-H show.
- The person filming, or an extra person standing on the sidelines, may only read aloud the next maneuver on the list, without explaining or coaching the maneuver. Video must be submitted with audio.
Detailed needs for Beef classes for the Pierce County Virtual Fair
- Clothing: Please reference clothing requirements in publication EM 1982. Jeans and boots must be worn during shows or contests with cattle.
- Boys: Jeans and shirts. Girls: Slacks or jeans and a blouse. Shoes appropriate for safety should be worn. Cowboy hats may be worn while showing, not baseball caps.
- Bulls over 4 months of age are not allowed as exhibits.
- All animals must be owned or leased and in exhibitors care as of May 1, 2020
- All beef cattle must have certificate on file
- Seniors can show up to 4 animals with the exception of a cow/calf
- Intermediates can show up to 3 animals with the exception of a cow/calf
- Juniors can show up to 2 animal with the exception of a cow/calf
- Other entries can be made in 4-H in Action, Bowls, Educational Displays (Posters), and Judging.
651 Fitting and Showmanship
Points allowed: Blue 50; Red 40; White 30
661 Beef Animal Evaluation
- Junior Heifer calf, calved after January 1, 2020.
- Winter Heifer calf, calved between November 1 and December 31, 2019
- Senior Heifer calf, calved between September 1 and October 31, 2019
- Late Summer Yearling heifers, calved between July 1 and August 31, 2019
- Early Summer Yearling heifers, calved between May 1 and June 30, 2019
- Late Junior Yearling heifers, calved between March 1 and April 30, 2019
- Early Junior Yearling heifers, calved between January 1 and February 29, 2019
- Senior Yearling heifers, calved between September 1 and December 31 2018
- Cow-Calf (nursing calf at the side) calf not more than 6 months
668. All Breeds (Judged together)
- Bred two-year olds heifer born between May 1 and August 31, 2018 (certified with calf)
- Mature Cow (must have calved) born prior to September 1, 2018
- Veal Calves (6 weeks to 4 months old)
- Light Feeder Steer (under 550 lbs.)
- Medium Feeder Steer (under 551-900 lbs.)
- Heavy Feeder Steer (over 901 lbs.)
- Market Steer (finished for Slaughter)
- Bull (under 4 months old)
- Bred and Owned- The 4-H member must have owned the calf’s mother at the time of breeding. Heifers and males are eligible. Exhibitor will be asked questions by the judge about the exhibit.
Points allowed:Blue 30; Red 20; White 10
Virtual 4-H Fair Exhibit Tips
Beef Fitting and Showmanship
Image, video (2-3 minutes, or PowerPoint presentation (5 slides or less) of youth setting animal up
Image, video, or presentation should show youth showing the animal. Purpose of the content is for the youth to share the message of what they have learned about their project and the industry
Beef Animal Evaluation
Image of Front View
Image of Side View
Image of Rear View
Present animal as you would for the show ring. Photos should be taken horizontally (landscape mode). Take photos in a well-lit area located outside. Try to reduce as many shadows and glares as possible. Make
sure the animal is not standing in tall grass or deep shavings etc. Photos should not be altered or edited!!! The 4-H member should be in at least one image of the animal, and should also be dressed appropriately for the show