RABBITS & CAVIES
Superintendent: Scott Rudolph
Assistant: Kevin Rudolph
(253) 279-3313 RabbitsNLabs@yahoo.com
Set-up: 12pm-3pm, Saturday, August 5, 2017
Pre-Entry Day: July 20, 2017
Haul-in: 4:00-8:00 pm Wednesday, August 9, 2017
Mandatory Exhibitor meeting: 8:30 am Thursday, August 10, 2017
· All rabbits must be checked in between 4:00 and 8:00 pm Wednesday, August 9, 2017. All animals will be checked by the Fair veterinarian before placing in cages. Animals must meet Veterinary Health Requirements of the Fair Guidelines. In addition, all animals must be at least 8 weeks old and meet the minimum weight requirement for showing per ARBA standards.
· Exhibitors must fit and show their own animal and bring the animal to the Fit & Show table. A parent, leader or other person may not do this for the exhibitor unless prior approval of the Superintendent has been given.
· Each exhibitor is responsible for feeding and watering their animals each morning by 9 am. Cages must also be cleaned if needed by this time. Additional watering during the day will be attended while on Herdsmanship. Exhibitors not caring for or making arrangements for this care will forfeit ALL premium points and be asked to remove the animals from the barn.
· Each exhibitor is expected to care for his/her own animal(s). Arrangements for special circumstances may be made with the approval of the superintendent.
· Exhibitors are expected to have their cages and the barn clean and ready for the public by 9:30 am each day.
· Exhibitors are required to provide a water bottle or crock for each animal. There are some available for use at the fairgrounds, but quantities cannot be guaranteed.
· All rabbits must be permanently and legibly tattooed in the left ear prior to cooping. Per ARBA rules, rabbits with illegible tattoos may be disqualified at the discretion of the judge. Tattooing will be available by Superintendent for $2.00 each rabbit.
· All rabbits are to be entered by BREED, VARIETY, CLASS and SEX. Entries must include the rabbit’s ear number. (Class is determined by age per the ARBA Standards.)
· ART & CRAFTS projects related to your project must be submitted during check-in on Wednesday, August 10, 2016. These items must have been made during the current 4-H year.
· All rabbits are judged using the current ARBA Standard of Perfections. Disqualifications can include, but not limited to: over or under-weight, missing teeth, mismatched toenails, etc.
· Exhibitors are to be present for type judging and to bring their own animals to the Judging table. Runners will be available on a prearranged basis only.
· Entries will be initially limited to four animals per exhibitor. Please record ALL entries (including alternates and additional animals) on the entry form and clearly indicate which your top four are and which are alternate. All entries over four will be for ribbon placings only, no premiums will be awarded.
· A parent or other responsible adult is to be on the fairgrounds each day in the event a problem arises. Please inform the superintendent the name of the parent or other responsible adult is and how to contact them. All exhibitors must have a contact form filled out and given to Superintendent. Leaders should have contact info and medical release forms as well.
· Animals will be released at 6:00 pm on Sunday. All animals must be removed by 6:30 pm. If the owner cannot remove their animals (as they have other animals to remove), notify the Superintendent of who is authorized to remove the animals.
· Animals will be judged by the Danish System according to the current American Rabbit Breeders Association Standard of Perfection.
· All applicable Pierce County Fair rules are in effect for this department. Failure to fulfill any exhibitor expectation may cause the loss of all premiums, ribbons, and/or awards and/or other consequences.
· Everyone is required to participate in barn take-down and cleanup.
Click here to see the PC Fair schedule and entry deadlines.
4-H RABBIT & CAVIES
· Per the Fair Guidelines, all those exhibiting animals must participate in that project’s Herdsmanship requirements.
· Each exhibitor will be required to participate in Herdsmanship for a minimum of 1 hour per day. (Additional number of hours will be determined by the number of exhibitors.) Failure to participate will result in the loss of Premiums.
· Herdsmanship schedule will be available at the barn set-up on Saturday, August 5th 12pm-3pm. Those who participate in the barn set-up will have first opportunity to sign-up for Herdsmanship times. Those who do not attend will be able to sign up for Herdsmanship Wednesday during vet check.
· A minimum of 2 rabbit/cavy exhibitors will be required to be on duty during Herdsmanship times. These times are 9:00 am to 10:00 pm each day except Sunday which is 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. If your Herdsmanship time falls during a time which you are participating in another rabbit barn activity, you must make arrangements with Superintendent and find a replacement. It is then your responsibility to make up the lost time.
· Club or Project leader will ensure that all members participate in Herdsmanship and that an adult (or teen leader) is in the barn during their members Herdsmanship times.
· At the beginning of each shift the exhibitor will check in with the superintendent/assistant. If you are unable to make your shift, you are responsible to find a replacement AND make up the time.
· Proper attire (pants and long sleeve shirt) is to be worn during Herdsmanship. Aprons or Pins must also be worn identifying you as the “Herdsman on Duty”. Long sleeves are required to remove your rabbit from its cage. NO ONE is to remove anyone else’s animal from its cage. Exception to this rule is with permission from Superintendent.
· No exhibitors’ personal items (backpacks, bags, feed, etc…) can be left in or stored in the barn. They are to be kept on your person or in designated areas.
· A Herdsmanship award may be awarded to the outstanding herdsman in each level (Junior, Intermediate & Senior). This will be based on participation, cooperation, enthusiasm and hard work. This is awarded solely on the discretion of the superintendent and/or appointed judge.
***CLUB DISPLAY – Each Participating club will be given approximately a 4 foot wide section of wall space to decorate/promote their club using the fairs theme. Displays will be judged and awards will be given***
PLEASE NOTIFY SUPERINTENDENT OF ALL CLUBS PARTICIPATING BY AUGUST 1, 2017