4-H DOG-DEPARTMENT ASD
Superintendent: Trisa Hansen
Assistant: Trisa Hansen
Pre-Entry Day: July 21, 2016
Agility Trial: August 7, 2016 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. / Howard Young Arena
Haul-In/Vet Check/Check-In Day: August 10, 2016 4 p.m.- 8 p.m.
One of the Pierce County Fair’s goals is to support Pierce County 4-H. This free web page contains postings of 4-H Dog Project events.
Pierce County Dog Leaders meet the first Monday of each month at the 4-H Office at 7 p.m. Individual clubs hold meetings throughout the year. Please contact the Pierce County 4-H Office at 253-798-7160 for more information.
Dog Barn Rules
- Exhibitors and anyone in the benching area must follow the Dress Code of the Washington State 4-H Dog Project. The Dress Code must be signed by both member and parent or guardian. Show superintendent reserves the right to dismiss anyone dressed inappropriately in the barn and show area.
- Gum chewing is forbidden in dog area.
- No eating or drinking in the barn area by Exhibitors or anyone affiliated with 4-H. With superintendent’s permission, dogs may be removed and fed. There will be no food, treats, or chew toys on the bench. Food treats must be in a sealed container under the bench. Superintendent’s podium is exempt. Signs will be posted to dissuade the public from eating in the dog barn due to E-coli. Please politely remind the public to wash their hands after petting the dogs.
- Only dog showing in off lead classes may be off lead and only when in the show or practice ring. Practice ring is for practice only.
- NO RUNNING OR ROWDY BEHAVIOR.
- Each dog must have suitable benching equipment, which includes (1) A benching chain (must be chain or inspected plastic coated cable), not of excessive length, as to prevent a dog from falling off the bench. Two bolt snaps must be attached to the chain. (2) A buckle collar or harness (no training collars allowed). Benching chains must remain on the bench.
- Prong, shock collars, muzzles, head collars, anti-bark collars or any special training collars are not allowed.
- There must be one or more 4-H members or exhibitors present at all times for each four (4) dogs. All clubs must have adult supervision. Small clubs may share herdsmanship duties with other clubs.
- Dogs may not leave the area allotted to them during the benching hours. Only two or three at a time in the potty area. Posted ring rules must be followed. Dogs entered as projects are prohibited from entering the midway, other project areas, the woods or trails at any time. Only dogs in groups showing may be by the show ring.
- All 4-H members or exhibitors are responsible for their own dogs’ care and comfort. All 4-H members are required to clean and dispose of their dog’s waste at all times. All dogs removed from the bench must be on an appropriate leash.
- NO ONE, except 4-H members in the Dog Project, their leaders, exhibitors, or designated adults may be in the benching area without the club leader’s permission. Anyone in the benching area must abide by all barn rules.
- Exhibition times end on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evening at 10:00 PM and on Sunday at 6:00 PM. No 4-H member, exhibitor, or dog may leave until dismissed by the Superintendent. Dogs must enter and exit the rear of the building during show hours unless granted permission to do so by the Superintendent. Dogs must leave the barn area immediately upon being dismissed and must exit by the most direct route to the main parking lot, camping, or north gate area.
- Dog MUST be benched and members and exhibitors in the barn my 9:30 AM.
- Members or exhibitors must notify the Superintendent before judging commences if they have a bitch in season. Bitches in season must wear panties and should be fed chlorophyll tablets. Owners must bring spray disinfectant and use it on the potty area.
- Vet Check will be from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM on Wednesday, the day before fair on the path to the poultry barn. No dogs may be in the barn until vet checked. Members or exhibitors must bring Pierce County Dog Project approved vaccination certificates to verify vaccines, and signed barn rules must be verified.
- No coaching of the members or exhibitors while they are in the ring.
- There shall be no abusive disciplining of dogs. Inappropriate conduct will be grounds for immediate dismissal.
- NO 4-H MEMBERS ALLOWED IN THE WOODS OR TRAILS BEHIND THE POTTY AREA OR SHOW RINGS.
- No parent, member, exhibitor, or leaders questioning the judges about scoring. Please go to your leader. When in doubt, go up the chain of command for a ruling.
- The Washington State 4-H Dog Program Guidelines and Pierce County Dog Project Guidelines must be followed.
Open Class (departments where anyone can enter)
4-H Activities (non-animal)
4-H Animal Science
Non-Animal Entry Form
Animal Entry Form